- 6 slices dark rye bread
- 3 cooked potatoes, cold
- 3 pickled herring fillets
- 50 g Västerbotten cheese or other mature cheese
- 2 green apples
- 1 red onion
- 100 g finely chopped chives
- 300 g fromage frais
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- To garnish: herring and chives
- Cube the potatoes to about 1/2 cm.
- Cut the herring fillets into small pieces.
- Grate the cheese, peel and cube the apples and finely chop the onion and chives.
- Mix it all together with the fromage frais, horseradish and sugar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Alternate a slice of bread with a layer of filling, for three layers, and spread filling on the top.
- Cut the tower diagonally into triangles, and garnish with chopped pieces of herring and the chives.
- This great savoury tower can also be made as a sandwich 'cake'.
- Double the recipe and assemble the bread slices instead, 4 slices per 'storey'.